Post-Doc Research Chemist
Do you want to perform research at a small company where your contribution is encouraged and rewarded? Somewhere that celebrates achievements, keeps you challenged, welcomes diversity, and provides endless opportunities for learning?
Brooks Applied Labs (BAL), an analytical laboratory in the Seattle area specializing in trace metals analysis and speciation, has a unique post-doc opportunity available. This position offers the opportunity to work in a commercial laboratory while pursuing individual research related to the analytical chemistry of metals and methods for the speciation of metals.
BAL is an industry leader offering many specialized and unique analytical services, including low-level trace metals quantification in complex matrices and metals speciation for elements such as As, Cr, Hg, and Se. The chemist filling this position will have the opportunity to develop an expertise in routine and novel analytical methodologies, primarily using ICP-MS, as well as in the use of a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Responsibilities includes working closely with the Technical Director to develop new methods that would expand the services offered by BAL, mentoring other chemists on the use of those methods, and making presentations at conferences or for our clients.
- PhD in chemistry, environmental science, or a closely-related field
- It may be acceptable to have finished the PhD course work and apply for this position prior to defending the thesis, as long as the degree is completed within 12 months of the hire date.
- At least 3 years of experience with ICP-MS.
- Familiarity with multiple ICP-MS platforms, interference reduction technologies, and software is preferred.
- Familiarity with speciation using chromatographic techniques, such as IC-ICP-MS or GC-ICP-MS, is a plus.
- Proven ability to perform instrument maintenance, troubleshoot issues, and do basic and more complex instrument repairs (particularly for ICP-MS and IC or HPLC systems).
- Ability to explain complex topics to people of all scientific backgrounds.
- Experience presenting oral platform presentations at scientific conferences is a plus.
- Experience with EPA Methods and QA/QC protocols preferred.
- Show demonstrated ability to successfully write new and follow established SOPs.
- Ability to multi-task and stay on top of many projects at the same time.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Must show ability to work in groups and ability to be a team player.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to lift 20 pounds and stand for extended periods.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the US.
- This position is a full-time, salaried position (exempt, not eligible for over-time) with full benefits, including medical/dental/vision insurance (with 80% of the premium covered for you and your family),
- Generous time-off (5 weeks/year)
- Profit sharing bonuses, and 401(k) matching.
- Please visit our careers page for more information.
To be considered for a position at Brooks Applied Labs, please email your cover letter (please feel free to express your personality!) and resume to email@example.com; please reference “Post-Doc Research Chemist” in the subject line.