Take the first step toward a rewarding career with a growing analytical laboratory!
Are you ready to kick off your career in the analytical chemistry and environmental sciences industry? Do you have a passion for chemistry, and desire to use your skills to advance excellent science with practical applications in our world?
Brooks Applied Labs is an analytical chemistry laboratory, located in Bothell, that specializes in trace metals analysis and speciation to support the environmental and pharmaceutical market sectors. Our employees reflect our core values of creating a nurturing culture, striving for excellence and integrity in the work we produce, and contributing to a collaborative work environment.
We have an opening for an assistant chemist in our Trace Metals – Environmental group at Brooks Applied Labs. As part of the trace metals team, you will support the analytical chemists through the preparation of environmental samples for trace metals analysis.
Typical duties would include:
- Preparing samples (water, soils, tissues, biotas) for trace metals analysis.
- Includes performing various digestion methods, adding reagents, using pipettes
- Ensure proper storage of samples after analysis.
- Assist with lab maintenance and cleaning.
- Other duties as assigned by group leader.
The successful candidate will use organizational skills, collaboration with team members, and high-level attention to detail to contribute to the efficient and accurate delivery of client results.
The lab is a fast-paced environment where work priorities can change in a moment’s notice. You have demonstrated the ability to maintain a positive, upbeat attitude, and work collaboratively within and across groups to achieve team and business goals.
Required certifications and competencies include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biochemistry, or other science related field with a minimum of 1 year of lab coursework
- Ability to read and follow SOPs for proper sample handling and prep
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (English)
- High level of organization and attention to detail
- Experience working in a laboratory setting
- Experience working with acids and micropipettes
- Knowledge of clean technique and EPA Methods
This is a physically demanding role in a laboratory setting. As such, the duties of the job often require the following:
- Ability to perform repetitive tasks using fine-motor skills, with a high level of precision
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and stand for periods of up to 8 hours
- Work safely with acids and chemical compounds following established lab safety procedures and training
- Work safely with sharp objects, such as knives, razor blades and blenders to assist in sample preparation
Schedule and Compensation
This is a full-time (40 hours/week), Monday through Friday, non-exempt (hourly) position. Expected pay range is $15-$17/hour depending on experience. This is classified as a temporary position for three months, after which time a conversion to regular employment status will be considered based upon successful performance. Pay rate reviews are given after 6 months and 12 months of employment and annually thereafter.
If you are ready to start a rewarding career in analytical chemistry, we want to hear from you! To be considered please submit the following application materials to email@example.com; please reference “Assistant Chemist” in the subject line:
- Cover Letter (please feel free to express your personality!)
It is the policy of BAL not to discriminate in hiring, promoting, subcontracting, or in any other way discriminate against persons based upon gender, religion, race, national origin, color, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, sensory/mental/physical disability or serious medical condition, pregnancy or childbirth-related medical condition, breastfeeding status, citizenship status, military status, or any other classifications protected by state or federal law.